Wood You? Should You?

Jar Planter Rack

For my mom I built an herb jar holder that mounts to the wall in our kitchen.

I used oak as my wood of choice, mostly because it was just what i had on the wood pile at the time.

The design comes from two things: 1) the size and shape of the jars 2) arbitrary angles that I thought would look good.

The only technique I in this project that I think is worth mentioning is the way I glued the zigzag. Before clamping the zigzag end to end I lined them up on the table then clamped down 2x4s to be in contact with the corners, so i could exert a compressing  force from the ends without the zigzag collapsing.

 

Advertisements

Cedar Patio Chairs

I replaced some rotten ash chairs for a friend and thought it would be best if the wood were to be more weather resistant. I took apart the ash chairs traced the pieces to easily replicate the old ones. I used my band saw to cut the arc in the legs and I used my router table to give everything a 3/8 roundover. I also gave the chairs three coats of  a UV resistant deck sealer.

I decided that I also needed a cedar chair, but of different design.

Bed Room Set

Since  building the queen bed for my house I have had two people ask me to build beds for them, one a twin and the other a king with matching nightstands. The style and structural design of the beds were very similar to the first one. The nightstands are to be extremely sturdy to match the style and each weigh about 40lb.

 

    DSC02744

 

Clock

When I got my grandpa’s band saw I promptly set to work cutting out some 300 gear teeth for my clock. Each gear is made of four, five or six pie pieces that are glued together. The escapement gear has insert teeth, I thought it would be likely that one would break and it would be a lot easier to just replace one tooth than remake the entire gear. I used the miter saw to cut all the pieces for the face.

because i was cutting a lot of the same piece, i clamped a block of wood to the saw so i only had to line up the first one.

because i was cutting a lot of the same piece, i clamped a block of wood to the saw so i only had to line up the first one.

To clamp the dodecagon, I screwed twelve 2×4 segments to a sheet of plywood, on the the inside of the dodecagon, and used one clamp on each face putting the whole shape in compression.

clamping the dodecagon

clamping the dodecagon

All the joints in the frame that hold the gears and face to the wall are connected with pocket screws. Three axles are on bearings and two are just lubed steel rods.

the face all glued up.

the face all glued up.

cutting out a escapement gear prototype

cutting out a escapement gear prototype

A viewof the 10 gears. I was orginally going to use a weight as a source of power however, the gears are inefficient so I am using a small motor on the escapement gear axle.

A viewof the 10 gears. I was orginally going to use a weight as a source of power however, the gears are inefficient so I am using a small motor on the escapement gear axle.

You can see the insert teeth on the escapement gear.

You can see the insert teeth on the escapement gear.

i had a hard time hanging it because i couldnt find any studs through the plaster and lathe

I had a hard time hanging it because I couldn’t find any studs in the old plaster walls, so I just used a lot of screws hoping that enough would catch the lathe.

DSC_0900 DSC_0882 DSC_0879

And Another Bed

This bed is basically the same as the others except for the fact that it is a twin.

photo (1)

Oak Coat Rack

I was commissioned to build this coat rack for a friend.  It is a relatively simple design, i used dowel joints, gave everything a 3/8 roundover and finished it with Tungoil.

all done

all done

I made a simple jig to drill the holes for the dowel joints

I made a simple jig to drill the holes for the dowel joints

Calculator Case

While I was trying not to pay attention in physics by fiddling with my calculator, I had the idea to try to make a case for it.  I used a table saw sled to create the “U” shape to fit over the calculator. I created the numbers in microsoft word, the font size was 300pt. This is my first project using the scroll saw so it took me an extremely long time to cut out the numbers. The numbers are Teak and the rest of the case is White Oak. I finnished it with mineral oil, because I used all my tung oil on the bed.

 

IMG_1846

 

002