My mom decided we needed a bed so rather than buying one I built one using $70 worth of materials. The headboard was pretty straightforward; I just biscuited the planks together and then measured for the trim cap. The corners were a new joint for me; I cut pockets, not unlike mortise and tenon but I fit the entire board into the posts.
I made my cut list on a gear because I was too lazy to find a piece of paper that wasn’t glued down. I only ended up cutting one piece to the wrong dimensions (too short, unfortunately).
measuring the planks
Clamping the headboard. I had to place a 2×4 in the center of the headboard to clamp against because I don’t have any clamps that reach all the way across.
You can see that when I cut the holes where the side pieces meets the legs I forgot that I was going to have a 3/8″ roundover on the edge.
A closeup of the completed headboard.
All finished, I didn’t make the tables we garbage picked them.
It is finished with tung oil. The entire project took me 20 hours; deciding on the design with my mom was the most difficult aspect!